Saturday, May 12, 2012

This is who I am

I would like to introduce myself to everyone.  I am an educator from New Mexico, and yes New Mexico is part of the United States.  I am a native New Mexican raised in a rural community in the west central part of the state, Magdalena.  Magdalena is a beautiful community with the mountains to the south, the desert to the north and the plains both east and west.  My father Pat was born in the house that I was raised in  and mother Shella was brought up in a nearby community even smaller than Magdalena, she was from Datil, NM.

I had a wonderful childhood running through mud puddles barefoot, climbing trees, catching horned toads and lizards; did forget to mention, my best friend growing up? Well that was my brother Allen. Allen is older than me, but no where near as feisty! We did everything together--thus the mud, horned toads and lizards.  Our parents were the best parents a kid could ask for!   Our mom took us to school every morning, picked us up for lunch--a homemade lunch...EVERYDAY!--then picked us up after school along with 5 or 6 other children from the community.  No sooner were we home from school than we were changing into out "after school clothes" so that we could run around outside and play with our friends.  We played until our dad came home from work, because that meant it was time for supper and we always had supper together.  After supper we would play kick ball, tag or Army until the sun went down, then we heard "the whistle".  The Whistle was my mom who could shriek out the highest pitched whistle that said, "Time to be inside!"

My  mother Shella is a wonderful cook.  Much of her skill and creativity came from poverty.  She could make something out of nothing! Whether it was fresh tortillas with beans and chile or rice pudding with fluffed egg whites, it was amazing. She still has a reputation in Magdalena for her savory tidbits and traditionally prepared  foods.  I watched everything she did and tried to replicate it.  She was a wonderful teacher, so wonderful that in the 9th grade she and I went head to head in a cooking contest at my High School (you guessed it...Magdalena High School).  I don't remember what my mom prepared, but I made chimichangas with a cheese sauce, after all it was the 80's and cheese sauce went with everything!  Low and behold I won the contest and my mom took second!  To this day I have the Pyrex dishes won that day and they have survived several college apartments, a career in southern NM, a move to an apartment in Albuquerque and finally to my current home of over 10 years in Rio Rancho.  I use the pie plate annually for my Thanksgiving sweet potato pie.

The adventure of trying new things has always fascinated me. My foodie philosophy is, "I'll try ANYTHING once, Twice if I like it!" With my work I have traveled throughout the United States and have tried many regional cuisines, some I have loved, some I have liked and others I can last another 20 years not tasting! With that said, please join me on this culinary journey through the foods that warm your soul, wink at a memory, and fill your tummy. Welcome to Michelle's Food Corner! Bienvenidos a mi Cocina.

No comments:

Post a Comment